The Parish of Clifton was originally a part of the much older Parish of St. Mary, Eccles.

The following time line shows how the Parish of Clifton developed from a small part of a larger parish in the

early 1800's to the point we are at today.

Year
Notable Events
1810
A Sunday School began to meet in a cottage on Rake Lane. The building is still used by the local people as a community centre and local library
1838
A new Sunday School building was opened on the opposite side of the road to the site of the church, to house 736 scholars. Sadly this building, which for a time became a part of the Chloride/Exide Social Club, is no longer standing.
1846
The Reverend Thomas Wilson is appointed Curate of Eccles, with special responsibility for Clifton
1852
The New Hall (now the Neighbourhood Centre) was opened as a Chapel. Prayer book services were held on Sundays
1870
The Hall turned into a school, with 2 new rooms added and still used as a Chapel on Sunday
1872
The foundation stone of a new church was laid by Mrs. Wynne Corrie
1873
December 3rd - the bell is placed in the turret
1874

August 19th - Bishop Fraser, the Diocesan, consecrated the church

August 23rd - the first service was held in the Church of St. Anne, Clifton; with the Reverend Thomas Wilson preaching at both the morning and evening services

1894
Reverend Thomas Wilson is appointed Vicar of St. Anne's
1898

The mission church of St. Thomas was built and consecrated

Reverend D T Rees (Curate since 1888) appointed to benefice

1900
Mr. F Styler is appointed as organist. The organ was also enlarged and a vestry created near the oak screens
1913
The oak lectern is presented by the Reverend D T Rees
1917
Reverend Harry Wild is appointed as Vicar
1920
The three west windows are installed as a war memorial
1923
The reredos is given in memory of Charles Pilkinton. In addition memorial windows to Captain Pilkington and Captain Wood and a brass plaque to the memory of the Mather brothers are erected.
1926
Electric lights are added to the church and school buildings
1929
Reverend Trevor Wright is appointed as Vicar
1930
Major roof repairs £400, raised solely by the people of Clifton
1934
Jubilee year.
1935
Reverend W B Waddington is appointed as Vicar
1963
Reverend B W Newth is appointed as vicar
1966

The new Vicarage was built on land next to the Hall

The 'Church Hall' was refurbished and restored

1967
The Memorial Chapel in the South Transept and the Book of Remembrance are installed
1969
The Festival of Flowers
1972
Reverend W J Gash is appointed as Vicar
1973
The start of major restoration work for the church building and churchyard begins
1974
The centenary year for the Church, which as lo saw the installation of a new computerised organ
1994
Reverend Peter John Barnett is appointed as Vicar
2004
Reverend John Baxendale is appointed as Vicar