Some facts about St. Thomas’s Church, Clifton Green:
1890’s. Many of the parishioners who lived in the Clifton Junction area decided to hold meetings
in a room at Egypt Farm and whilst there, the new curate, the Revd. David T. Rees
ministered to them and it was he who was instrumental in the building of the Mission
Church. At the suggestion of Revd Rees the Mission was dedicated to St. Thomas after
the then vicar of St. Anne’s, Clifton, the Revd. Thomas Wilson (1874-
The Mission Church, built in 1898, to cater for the needs of just a few farmsteads and
houses on Rake Lane was originally only to last around 25 years. It was very well served
by the local families who came to the first meetings. Until 1914 it was of special interest to
the Revd. Charles Davies, curate, who took up the ministerial post there.
1920’s In spite of its dedication to St. Thomas, this name was rarely used but was affectionately
known to the local people as “Th’ Tin Mission.” As its popularity grew and the need to
educate the local people, a school was built by volunteer craftsmen from the area and was
opened on 9th December 1922 by Miss Dorothy Pilkington. Then in 1923, the buildings
were transferred from gaslight to that new medium – electricity for lighting.
The Mission used to have a tall spire over the belfry and during a heavy storm in 1925
this was blown down and was never rebuilt.
1950’s As the name inferred, “Tin Mission” the roof was covered with corrugated iron and over
time it had to be replaced and so was re-
clad with corrugated asbestos in 1953. The years
had taken its toll on the building and the structure had shifted on the North side of the
building which had to be subsequently shored up to make it safe.
1960’s During heavy winds on 10th April 1960, which happened to be Palm Sunday, the cross
on top of the belfry was blown down. The belfry was then found to be unsafe and was
taken down in its entirety on St. Matthews Day, 21st September 1960.
Over the preceding years talk of a new Church on the estate was being bantered around
and a site was allocated on Delamere Ave. It was estimated that the cost of building the
new Church would be approx. £40,000.00. On Advent Sunday, 27th November 1960,
50 workers were commissioned to go to every house in the District to collect donations on
a weekly basis. This was carried on over the subsequent years until enough donations
were made to complete the building of the new St. Thomas’s in 1974 where it continues
to serve the people of Clifton Green in the Parish of Clifton to this day.
with many thanks to Barry Price